Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Books

Ok I've been reading like crazy. About a month ago one of my friends in my new ward and I were talking about books. I was trying to think of the name of the book I had read in Iowa that my friend Brandy had recommended (which I loved!) -- (The Ladies Auxiliery by Tova Mirvis). I ended up calling her to get her email so I could send her a list of all my fave books. I sent her a list of my books and then the list of books from my friend Brandy. She, in turn, sent me a list of her fave books. So I decided I'd start visiting the library more often and try to start trying to read as many as I can on all of the lists. I'll post the lists below and bold the one's I've finished --- I'll try to post a short review as I finish them. Anyway, here goes:

List from Danielle
Mrs. Mike -- on hold @ library
Peace Like a River -- on hold @ library
The Lord of the Rings always recommended
The Constant Gardener -- on hold @ library
Three Cups of Tea by Greg Mortensen Wow! I loved it!
Anna Karenina -- on hold @ library
A Short History of Nearly Everything by Bill Bryson -- on hold @ library
I am a Stranger Here Myself by Bill Bryson-reading now
A seperate Peace by John Knowlesreminded me of Kite Runner. But 80 years earlier in New England prep schools. Verry Good.

List from Brandy
Twilight by Stephenie Meyer -- will be starting this series soon
New Moon by Stephenie Meyer -- on hold @ library
Pretties by Scott Westerfeld -- on hold @ library
Uglies by Scott Westerfeld this was suprisingly good
Specials by Scott Westerfeld -- on hold @ library
Les Miserables by Victor Hugo
The Christmas Train by David Baldacci
Sarah by Orson Scott Card
To Kill A Mockingbird by Harper Lee Great
The Secret Life of Bees by Sue Monk Kidd Very Good
A Tree Grows in Brooklyn by Betty Smith
The No. 1 Ladies Detective Agency by Alexander McCall Smith
At Home in Mitford by Jan Karon
Snow Flower and the Secret Fan by Lisa See

My List
The Ladies Auxiliary by Tova Mirvis (Read this First)
Parenting with Love and Logic
Screwtape Letters - CS Lewis
The Count of Monte Cristo by Alexandre Dumas
From Beirut to Jerusalem by Thomas Friedman
Profiles in Courage by JFK
Leadership and Self Deception by The Arbinger Institute
Dawn by Elie Wiesel
Night by Elie Wiesel
Beauty by Robin McKinley (Young Adult)
And Then There Were None by Agatha Christie (YA)
Anything Harry Potter
Anything Jane Austen
Anything Charles Dickens
. . . Let's see, other books I've liked from bookclubs:
The Peacegiver (LDS)
A Day No Pigs Would Die (YA)
The Chosen (YA)
Bud, Not Buddy (YA)
The Trial (LDS)
The Great Brain (YA)
The Hiding Place (YA)

3 comments:

  1. I feel so honored that my list appears on your blog. I have read a few more good books that I need to add to my list. The most recient book that I have finished (besides the Twilight series) is called "The Glass Castle". Wow, what a good book. If you ever feel down and like your life is awful, this is a book to read. It is a memoir and even though the events are sad the author writes it in a way that makes it seem normal and sometimes even happy. It is amazing. Highly recommend it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Kristine. I copied the list and I'm taking it to the library next week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is great Kristine. I always want a good book but never know what to get. I now can go to the Library but first... my sister is loaning me the Twilight series.

    ReplyDelete