Monday, August 25, 2008

Briscoe Reunion 08






This year for the Briscoe Reunion we went up to Camp Taylor in Scout Mountain. It was actually a really nice campground to hold the reunion there. It worked out really well. The old cabins and bunk beds were a step up from sleeping on the ground, and it didn't get too cold at night. Other than that the Briscoes just need plenty of room to gather, talk, and play card games (I didn't get pictures of playing Panic because I was too busy playing); as well as wide open spaces for the young 'uns to get some games on. Let's see -- I think at the campground last time in Utah Darik got flag football going and Jared split his shin open. This year was no different with both Aaron and Ryan getting road burns from ultimate frisbee. I think someone had mentioned that Darik & I dutch oven, and we were asked to be in charge of the whole dutch oven dinner on Saturday night for 40+ people. Things were actually working out pretty well until the coals died on us. Since it takes about 20-30 minutes to fire em up again we were a bit behind. It was a bit stressful for me to pull that off either not knowing where my three rugrats were or having them be in the way. Stress. My uncle said I need to manage my anger -- I said, "No this is stress management, not anger management. If you ever see me needing anger management, you'll know the difference." It is just harder to watch little ones when you aren't at home -- so more stress for mommies. And my two-year-old is a wanderer. At least Ellie will stay to an area you specify (usually). Stina makes no such commitments and goes where she darn well pleases. And my experience as a foster mom has helped me to know -- just letting your kids wander is neglect, esp when there are known hazards around. So reunions are hard. But fun. The last day (Sunday) the adults had a SSchool mtg and mom & I put on Primary for the kids outside. I went inside for a few minutes and . . . promptly went back outside, my primary calling has got me trained to need games and songs to be entertained, I guess.

It was nice to have Jon & his wife Laura & their two kiddies show up on the last day. Jon made the announcement . . . they are expecting their THIRD!! YAY! So I have three SILs due next year all within 3 months of each other. And on the Anderson side one coming right in the middle of those. Hooray for nephews and nieces -- I'm all about having cute kids around that are fun to play with and hold that aren't my responsibility to diaper and feed. So keep em coming, guys! I love being a cool aunt!

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like fun, but I hear you about it being hard as a mom. When you're at home, they can wander, move about and you don't have to be as strict. Once you leave home, it's a whole different ball game.

    I got the sad juice when I read about dutch oven, cuz that's what we did! I miss it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't know you were realated to the Briscoes. My sis-in-law is a Briscoe, too.

    ReplyDelete