Tuesday, January 29, 2013

It's the Most Wonderful Time . . . Of the Year

YAY!


Is it Christmas?

NO!

SuperBowl?

NO!

Birthday?

NO!

It was the ALA's Youth Media Awards Day. Each year at midwinter conference they announce who wins all the YMAs from Caldecott-Newbery-Printz+. It is the day I look forward to like a kid at Christmas. It's Oscars for KidsLit Book Geeks. It's is squee inducing. I'm in a Mock Newbery group on GoodReads that picks books throughout the year and then votes who we think should win. I also follow a few blogs of librarians who have been on the Newbery Committee before and we discuss the same things. I don't know if I've let my kidslit freak flag fly before -- but yeah, I want to be a chidren's librarian . . . and I have a spectacular dream of one day serving on a Newbery Committee. That may never happen, but I sure intend to figure out a way to run a local Mock Newbery group either at the local library or at Ellie's school when she's old enough.

Meanwhile:
SQUEE!



p.s. Not so happy that local library is sadly lacking in distinguished titles. I just need to get rich so I can buy them all myself, but then I only by paperbacks so that would mess with my bookshelves. GRRRR.

p.p.s.  Anyone interested in participating in the March Madness of KidsLit with me?  Let me know - go see www.battleofthebooks.slj.com

2 comments:

  1. How does it work? I noticed just a few min ago they have awarded Newbery award. I've been working off and on since I got married on an annotated list of all the Newberrys. Most of what I read is childrens I have to admit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jessica, check out their website. In January they post a list of 16 best books of the year and give you 2 months to read them. then in March they have matchups on line with discussions and famous authors coming in to call the winners. It's pretty fun!

      Delete