Sunday, March 02, 2008

Workin' 9 to 5?? Bull Honkey.

I know that everyone uses their blog differently -- but I really try to use mine as a journal. Obviously there's a limit about what I'll blab on here, but every year I plan on turning the past year's blogs into a bound book (check out www.blurb.com) that will become out family's scrapbook/family history. So if I seem whiny or weird or complaining and you think it's inappropriate (? could happen) just know that I put it here because I think it will add to our family book and show personality and what really happens in our lives. So with that said, here goes what some may construe as complaint :-)

When Darik first got into sports as a job he worked for a football team -- 8 events per year. Then a hockey team -- 32 events per year. He told me he never wanted to work for a baseball team that has a 9 month season and 120+ events that he'd have to be away from the family for. Well, enter the ISU job. University and community events are scattered mostly throughout a 9 month timeframe (aug-may) and Darik went from 32 events per year to 150+ per year. Some weekends he has had up to 10 events (i.e. 3 high school football games, a soccer game, a isu football game, a few performances up at the performing arts center, then basketball started, etc.) Well, my Blue-type personality Darik has kept meticulous record of the hours he's worked. And here's the 2007 report (I reran the numbers because I hadn't taken into account the time we took for vacation):

MONTH --- HRS PER WK
January-07 --- 64
February-07 --- 60
March-07 --- 59
April-07 --- 56
May-07 --- 52
June-07 --- 43
July-07 --- 35
August-07 --- 56
September-07 --- 61
October-07 --- 71
November-07 --- 58
December-07 --- 56

ok so Darik averages 60.1 hours of work per week for 10 months of the year!

October and February kill me -- the peak of basketball and football. And it's true when I say I feel like a single mom 9 months of the year and then I bask in Darik's presence for 3 months and hope that's enough to get me through the next 9 months. I guess this is what wives of accountants feel during tax season :-) And the wives of truck drivers feel, etc. I know this isn't an isolated incident, but every single time I've mentioned this aspect of our lives someone usually tries to lecture me about how someone always has it worse. And I know, but can I get some validation every once in a while? :-)

p.s. Ok I decided to add some optimism: on the plus side this is the first time we've ever had a really secure, stable job that is not paid mostly with commission and it has a 401(k) and 5 weeks of vacation per year -- which we've never had before. So yes we are blessed :-)

UPDATE -- Debra reminded me to mention that at the beginning of October is when he was called to be Elder's Quorum President -- the month he worked over 70 hours per week :-)

3 comments:

  1. I'm so sorry girl, that would be rough. Is there any way that things could change, or he could get his hours reduced?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous5:58 PM

    In this life when God said "by the sweat of your brow" I think that it is quite literal to the degree that He meant it would be work. There are always choices but I've found that most high stress jobs provide lots of money --not always but there are tradeoffs. I find it enjoyable to drive across the country and see the beauty of things while somewhat relaxing for a living but when I figure the time away from home then I see the tradeoff for me. We all have to do what we can to provide for our family and our perfect job may be hell to someone else. If the conditions are too bad then we have the ability to change our circumstances but through experience I've found for me that the greener pastures sometimes are not as green from the other side of the fence. All of this is for our learning though and can help us learn and develop different essential qualities needed beyond this life. Good luck to all in finding what provides and brings enjoyment and fulfillment at the same time AND pays the bills.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Crazy! Why does it seem like the 9 to 5 mentality has pretty much vanished (unless you work for the government or teach or something like that)? Is he enjoying it? How are you holding up?

    ReplyDelete