Wednesday, January 14, 2009

My Little {gag} Cheerleader {gag}

Ok, if there is one prejudice I have it's probably against cheerleaders and dancer girls. Not that 100% of them fall in this category but (1) I believe a lot of the stereotypes ring true about them in general and (2) I have a strong feminist streak that believes dressing up in skimpy outfits and bouncing around in front of skeezy old men does nothing to lift the reputation of women everywhere and (3) would they please quit dancing like STRIPPERS??!!! I think it's embarrassing for all decent men to have to sit there with wife and young children watching stripteases on the court. It's very inappropriate at a family event.

That being said, my parents have bought little ISU cheerleader outfits for their grandgirls and one has been hand-me-downed to Elle Belle. Now I think it's just cute now - and I hope it's only a stage, but on the way to the girls BBall game on Saturday she said, "can I please go meet the big girl cheerleaders?" Along with Benny the Bengal, of course. Because it would be a bloggable moment, I agreed. And I was glad I did as she was surrounded by them she quickly became very shy and kind of scared. That picture is priceless of her flippin out in the middle of them!
The other news of the day is that Christian was bored out of his mind all weekend long!! Bored at the game, bored at home, bored in the car, etc. etc. I didn't think we were that bad, but according to the King of Cool (Christian) we are oh so blah, I guess. And here I was thinking I was awesome for getting my 3 kids out of the house all by myself while D was working!!p.s. I would have no problem if Ellie became a dancer for purely artistic reasons. With a dance studio, competitions, etc. There is so much beautiful dance out there to be encouraged, especially because Ellie loves it so much. But the booty call dances have got to stop - I would probably not let her on school teams because of the reasons above.

5 comments:

  1. Anonymous10:29 AM

    Kris.........you know......Vanessa was a dancer in high school.

    Mike

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kristine! You are so funny. Did you know I was a dancer in high school AND college? Yep-- in my former life (and body) I wore the skimpy outfits too (much to my dad's dismay). Way to swallow that prejudice for your daughter! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I totally agree with you Kristine! And don't even get me started on beauty pageants! Ugh!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amen, sister. Although, I must make an exception for a couple of former-cheerleader I used to call my roomies. That being said, I couldn't agree more with the booty-call dances and the inserted gags.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like this post and I totally agree with. However there always are notable exceptions but the dances they chose now-a-days are appalling to say the least. Don't they know how they are coming across?

    ReplyDelete