Thursday, January 06, 2011

One More Resolution

Typically I don't engage in a series of complicated goals and tasks every year like the last post.  I kind of try to focus on one thing I think to improve during the year and work on that.  This past year I have worked really hard at savoring the little moments.  To not be so caught up in the whirlwind of life that I wake up one day and this fun little girl stage has passed and instead of a 5 year old that can't stand me I have a 15 year old that hates me.  So I've tried really hard this past year that when there was a moment like that to stop and experience it.  Feel the joy and happiness fill my heart and overflow.  Be grateful I'm a mother and offer that little prayer of gratitude in the moment.  I want to have fewer regrets about how I mother - I don't want to look back and wish I had done this or that (we all will, of course).  But one specific example from 2010 is that during Ellie's dance class they have instruction for 40 minutes and the last 5 minutes of class they turn off the lights, turn on the disco ball, turn ABBA up, and have free dance.  Any of the family members can come and join the girls to dance.  At first I went along with the other moms and begged it off and tried to send her back out to dance herself.  After a week or two I wanted to kick myself.  Why would I say no? Because I'm worried about other people seeing me do something that I do with my child every day at home and that we love to do together?  So I choose to live in the moment.  I get one chance with one kid.  I'm going to enjoy as much silly laughs and fun times as I can.

For 2011 my goal is to reprioritize and simplify.  I've come to realize I'm not so good at multi-tasking and managing stress.  My family feels it acutely.  Six part-time jobs, one auxiliary presidency, lots of family drama, 2200sf+ of home to clean and manage on my own, and 64 books a year??  Sheesh.  A lot of these things will come when the opportunity of a new job or move to a new place arrives, but I'm pretty confident that will come this year.  Next January you'll hear how I did :-)

p.s. I just finished my 2010 blog book and now need an unlimited internet connection to upload and order from :-)  I must say another goal for me should be fewer pictures, but of a higher quality.  When photography is a hobby you only get better with practice - but I want to show more restraint on those I include in my blog (book).

No comments:

Post a Comment