Wednesday, August 08, 2012

A Good Mom Moment

Motherhood is filled with a lot of mistakes - a lot of bad mom moments, so when there is actually a moment that is proof positive that something I do is working, I had to write it down to remember. 

Ellie is easily discouraged - she wants to immediately be perfect at everything.  And when she's not she's very emotional and she gives up easily.  It all came to a head last summer learning how to ride a bike.  We realized that she wasn't understanding that she just needs to keep trying.  So guess who's been a broken record for the past 12 months?  Me. 

Just Keep Trying Just Keep Trying Just Keep Trying Just Keep Trying Just Keep Trying Just Keep Trying Just Keep Trying Just Keep Trying Just Keep Trying Just Keep Trying Just Keep Trying Just Keep Trying Just Keep Trying Just Keep Trying Just Keep Trying Just Keep Trying Just Keep Trying Just Keep Trying Just Keep Trying Just Keep Trying Just Keep Trying Just Keep Trying Just Keep Trying Just Keep Trying Just Keep Trying Just Keep Trying Just Keep Trying

That's pretty much what it felt like.

So on Saturday we hopped in the car to go see her Big Sister, and Ellie is in the back seat doing her hair.  She says, "Mom, I know how to put buns in my hair.  I learned ponytails with Rachel and Rebecca and then I decided to do a bun.  Remember how you tell me to just keep trying?  Well that's what I did and I know how to make a bun."

Good.
Mom.
Moment.

1 comment:

  1. It's fun to see what your family is up to. I need to follow suit and become a broken record too. "Just keep trying" My Brigham struggles with perfectionism and easy discouragement as well.

    ReplyDelete