Thursday, January 09, 2014

Authenticity

So lately I've realized that people I really admire (in pop culture and society) and like are people who are really authentic.  People who thrive in being their own quirky, different selves and encourage others to do so.  So not that anyone cares, but these are some of my favorite peoples:
Maggie Stiefvater, author
She dresses her goats in tshirts, drag races her custom painted Camaro, is an award winning artist, raises children, loves husband, is generally a great person to follow on twitter.  

"When I hit 17 and 18 -- I was suicidal.  Everything was great . . . but I looked at the adults around me and thought that I didn't see a single one I wanted to be when I grew up.  I did, however see a lot of people I didn't want to be."  {later}  "Because really, I didn't understand then that if I didn't see the world I wanted around me, I could make myself a world that I wanted.  I didn't think one person could change anything.  I didn't realize that I could find people like me and fill my life with them."

"I'm a dirt road out in the country kind of person, but I remember thinking, I could live in Chicago."

"In the end, you have to write like you're not afraid of the critics."
Jennifer Lawrence, actress
as gorgeous as she is, this GIF is one of the best parts of her authenticity.  there are many women as beautiful as her, but very few as authentic and comfortable enough with who she is to just be herself 

“If I don’t have anything to do all day, I might not even put my pants on.” – responding to a question in Glamour about what she does in her free time

“Sorry! That was phlegm. That was so powerful. I’m like a dragon!” – after coughing on David Letterman 

“Backstage, I just peed like every 3 seconds. I think your staff thinks I have diarrhea.” – doing her thing on Chelsea Lately

"I'm the fastest pee-er ever," she told Rolling Stone  in 2012. "I'm famous for it."
 Ellen, needs no introduction
there is no other person I can think of that encourages people to dance like nobody's watching

“Who's to say what's better or worse anyway? Who's to even say what's normal or average? We're all different people and we're allowed to be different from on another. If someone ever says you're weird, say thank you. And then curtsy. No, don't curtsy. That might be too weird. Bow. And tip your imaginary hat. That'll show them.”
Ellen DeGeneres, Seriously... I'm Kidding  



“So be who you really are. Embrace who you are. Literally. Hug yourself. Accept who you are. Unless you're a serial killer.”
Ellen DeGeneres, Seriously... I'm Kidding

“I personally like being unique. I like being my own person with my own style and my own opinions and my own toothbrush.”
Ellen DeGeneres, Seriously... I'm Kidding 


“Beauty is about being comfortable in your own skin. It's about knowing and accepting who you are.”
Ellen DeGeneres, Seriously... I'm Kidding  
 


“Laugh. Laugh as much as you can. Laugh until you cry. Cry until you laugh. Keep doing it even if people are passing you on the street saying, "I can't tell if that person is laughing or crying, but either way they seem crazy, let's walk faster." Emote. It's okay. It shows you are thinking and feeling.”
Ellen DeGeneres, Seriously... I'm Kidding  


“Find out who you are and figure out what you believe in. Even if it's different from what your neighbors believe in and different from what your parents believe in. Stay true to yourself. Have your own opinion. Don't worry about what people say about you or think about you. Let the naysayers nay. They will eventually grow tired of naying.”
Ellen DeGeneres, Seriously... I'm Kidding 

 Mindy Kaling, Actress, Writer, Comedian
writer, producer, actress in my favorite show.  


“I always get asked, ‘Where do you get your confidence?’ I think people are well meaning, but it’s pretty insulting. Because what it means to me is, ‘You, Mindy Kaling, have all the trappings of a very marginalized person. You’re not skinny, you’re not white, you’re a woman. Why on earth would you feel like you’re worth anything?’”  Mindy in Parade Magazine.

“If someone called me chubby, it would no longer be something that kept me up late at night. Being called fat is not like being called stupid or unfunny, which is the worst thing you could ever say to me. Do I envy Jennifer Hudson for being able to lose all that weight and look smokin’ hot? Of course, yes. Do I sometimes look at Gisele Bundchen and wonder how awesome life would be if I never had to wear Spanx? Duh, of course. That’s kind of the point of Gisele Bundchen. And maybe I will, once or twice, for a very short period of time. But on the list of things I want to do in my lifetime, that’s not near the top. I mean, it’s not near the bottom either. I’d say it’s right above “Learn to drive a vespa,” but several notches below “film a chase scene for a movie.”
Mindy Kaling, Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me?  


“If I’m at a party where I’m not enjoying myself, I will put some cookies in my jacket pocket and leave without saying good-bye.”
Mindy Kaling, Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me? 


"Mindy is exceptionally smart, but is not afraid to talk about nail polish.  And yet her love of nail polish does not take away from her smartness.  In a perfect world, she would take my SATs for me, and then we would go to the mall together."   Steve Carrell on Mindy Kaling

“In my mind, the sexiest thing in the world is the feeling that you’re wanted.”
Mindy Kaling, Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me?    


So my other honorable mentions are:  Shannon Hale, Glennon Melton, Zooey Deschanel, Anna Kendrick, etc.    

1 comment: